Sunday, November 18

Bev Curtis

Bev Curtis : 13 Nov 2007 3:40:15pm

With as much modesty as I can muster, I think I am just as bright as any contributor so far, including Mark himself. None of them seem to know what they are talking about sufficiently to make clear to me exactly what they mean by "culture wars', but whatever it is, there is the smell of "global" about it.

I am much more concerned about a culture war much closer to home which has not yet been "won" by the optimum side. There are two major sub-cultures within our own society. One is still wedded to the four "p's", profits, productivity, possessions, pockets, plus strong growth of the economy, yelling some nonsense at the electorate often enough and loud enough until they honestly believe it is the gospel.

The other (hopefully) recognises the desirability of material prosperity all right, but not above serious concern for the real welfare of people in the form of their education (real, I mean, not limited to the utilitarian), their health, aged and disability care, workers security and rights, decent concern for the under-educated, the under-socialised, the disadvantaged the homeless and the mentally challenged.

The second group is the one that should win the "war" but there are too many supporters of the first, relatively gullible, cohort still popping their votes in the boxes. Hope springs eternal, of course, but I am sure there are a lot of people who could do without the excruciating waiting.


via Larvatus Prodeo

Bev, as all my kids have all ready been named, I'll just have to settle for calling this the "Quote of the Campaign". Your Voice is way strong. Thank you.

4 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

Have to agree with you.

The Labor Party used to address all the points made in para 3.

They used to take care of The Workers and the Conservative a.k.a Liberal Party used to take care of Management.
Now the demographic seems to be 'Employed' and 'Not Employed'.

hip said...

Yep, and it seems there are 11 types of "poor" - the "deserving poor" (01), who've saved all their lives to be unemployed, some other mob of layabouts (10) called the "middle class", who pay too much tax to subsidize the first mob, and (11) the "born to be poor".
They shoot horses, don't they?

BwcaBrownie said...

It takes me weeks to fill a wheelie bin with enough packaging to warant putting it out, yet I saw before Christmas, a vicar delivering a charity hamper to a house which had overflowing bins.
I guess they were the Deserving Poor.
I wish I could recall which blogger on my links has a quote by Kim Beazley's father when he was a Labor MP - it was like this
"the party used to be the cream of the working class, now it's the dregs of the middle class .. " and of course I forget the punchline

I am dreading today. I have to go to the ColacSaleyards with my friend (because she's my friend)- apparently Stock Agents work harder if they know the seller is in the crowd. *sigh*

hip said...

Yeah, I remember a trip to the saleyards can be very good or a very bad thing, depending on the weather. Keep a short leash on any bastard who calls hisself "agent". It's Kelly country.

"At the end of the year a Labor Government splits the profits with the workers, a Liberal Government splits it with big business" - to paraphrase Beazles the Elder.
Musta been a long, long time ago...